Skip to content ↓

Are you considering University?

This is a very important decision to make so take your time and talk to your parents and your Speech and Language Therapist.

If you decide you want to apply to University, we will be able to help you with everything, from:

  • Choosing the right university;
  • Selecting the right course;
  • Open days/ visits to the different universities you are considering;
  • Questions to ask when you visit a university;
  • Preparing to submit your application;
  • Writing your personal statement;
  • Look into Student Finance  https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
  • Avoiding common mistakes;
  • Preparing for the interviews;
  • What to do when you receive your offer letter;
  • What to do if you don’t receive an offer letter;
  • The entire UCAS application process – so you don’t have to worry about anything.

Here is some general information you need to know, but if you want to go to University, please ask us for the University guide/booklet.


Applications to almost all UK full-time undergraduate degree courses are dealt with online through UCAS. UCAS is the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. UCAS does not make any decisions about allocating places at university; it is just a service that manages the application process.  

All staff at Moor House College will be able to help you and will give you a 'buzzword' which you will use when you register on the UCAS website. Even before you are set up, you should take some time to browse the site to familiarise yourself with the information and guidance that is available. 

Where can I find out information about the different Universities and the courses?
  • Speak to us and get the University guide/ booklet.
  • The internet is also a good starting point for your research. It will enable you to search for courses and look at their entry profiles, but you should see this as a directory, rather than your only source of course information.


How many Universities can I apply for and what questions will they ask?

Applying online through UCAS allows you to apply for up to five university courses with just one form. The form asks for:

  • Personal details (name, contact details etc.);
  • The universities and courses you want to apply for;
  • The schools and colleges you have attended;
  • The qualifications you already have as well as those you still have to take;
  • Details of any employment or work experience;
  • Your personal statement;
  • A reference from your school or college.
What is the UCAS tariff?

The grades you achieve in your qualifications may be converted into points known as UCAS points. Some universities just look at grades, some just look at total points, and some look at a combination. This system is known as the UCAS tariff. You can find a fuller explanation of how the tariff works, as well as a full list of the current points for each grade and qualification here.

When will I know?

Universities will make offers of places based on the achievement of certain grades and/or points. The information listed under 'entry requirements' for each course is an indication of the typical grades the university will look for before considering making an offer. You should look at these guideline grades to see if you can realistically achieve those before you apply.  

On certain courses you may also be required to take an admissions test, or entrance exam. 

Is the University course only full time?

No, for part-time degree courses, you will need to apply directly to the university. Also, if you wish to study for any course with the Open University, you will currently need to apply directly to them. The Open University does not have entry requirements for most of its courses, so it is important to contact them for guidance on course choice if you are thinking of applying to them.