Moor House School opened in June 1947 and was the first school of its kind. It was set up by Dr Worster-Drought, a neurologist and Mrs Hudson Smith, a speech therapist and Principal of the West End School for Speech Therapy, London.
From 1947 until 2011, all students at Moor House were residential. In 2011, the decision was made to welcome day students and in 2012 we extended our provision by opening a sixth form provision and became Moor House School & College.
The school’s first patron was Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, who supported the school’s work and visited in 1953. MHS&C is extremely fortunate to have HRH Countess of Wessex as our Patron. Her Royal Highness has been particularly supportive of the work of the School & College and has visited the provision on more than one occasion, most recently to open the Residential Village in November 2016.
Since 1947, pioneering work in speech and language therapy and teaching methods has continued at Moor House and our research expertise is shared with the international community through our newly established Research and Training Institute. We welcome your support of our work.